Strategic Design for Remanufacturing
Dr. Nina Boorsma has recently completed her PhD at the Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering at TU Delft under the supervision of Prof.dr. A.R. Balkenende, Prof.dr.ir. C.A. Bakker, and Dr. D.P. Peck. Her thesis explores the role of strategic design in the context of remanufacturing and aims to promote a wider implementation of remanufacturing in industry. In this video, she explains how strategic design determines the extent to which a product meets market needs, what its functionality should be, and whether it supports the company’s long-term objectives.
- Design for Remanufacturing investigates the suitability of a product to be remanufactured.
- Strategic Design takes place in the early stages of the product’s development process to determine the extent to which a product meets market needs in all of its use-cycles, what its functionality should be in each of these cycles, and whether it supports a company’s long-term objectives.
- There is at least 12 main points a company can consider to proceed with advancing the integration of Design for Remanufacturing in its strategic design whilst 20 circular design indicators can enable monitoring readiness levels of companies (Strategy Map & Circular Product Readiness).
- Boorsma, N., Balkenende, R., Bakker, C., Tsui, T., & Peck, D. (2021). Incorporating design for remanufacturing in the early design stage: a design management perspective. Journal of Remanufacturing, 11(1), 25-48. (Chapter 4)
- Boorsma, N., Peck, D., Bakker, T., Bakker, C., & Balkenende, R. (2022). The strategic value of design for remanufacturing: a case study of professional imaging equipment. Journal of Remanufacturing, 12, 187–212. (Chapter 5)
- Boorsma, N., Polat, E., Bakker, C., Peck, D. & Balkenende, R. (2022). Development of the Circular Product Readiness method in circular design. Sustainability, 14(15), 9288. (Chapter 7)
- Boorsma, N., Peck, D., Fischer, S., Bakker, C. & Balkenende, R. (2018). Capabilities required to tackle barriers to remanufacturing. In Proceedings of Going Green-CARE INNOVATION Conference. (Chapter 2)
- Boorsma, N., Peck, D., Fischer, S., Bakker, C. & Balkenende, R. (2018). Remanufacturing workshops with professionals to overcome barriers-outcomes of two EU projects. Proceedings of Conference Going Green—Care Innovation. (Chapter 6)
- Boorsma, N., Tsui, T., & Peck, D. (2019). Circular building products, a case study of soft barriers in design for remanufacturing. In Proceedings of the International conference of Remanufacturing. (Chapter 3)